As important members of a medical team, medical coding and billing professionals acquire a diverse set of skills and knowledge of medical terminology and anatomy, as well as proficiency in medical coding and billing software. This is a great career path for those interested in staying connected to the healthcare industry. Medical and billing coding professionals process and code health insurance claims, manage patient bills, and track quality assessments. They work behind-the-scenes to help maintain the accuracy and integrity of the billing functions of healthcare providers.
Medical Coding is a certificate program that prepares students for the rapidly expanding field of medical coding and focuses on developing an understanding of the language of medicine and the ability to apply it to professional coding standards. ICD-10-CM/PCS and CPT coding concepts and guidelines are taught in this course. Instruction concentrates on the areas of anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, pharmacology, and clinical classification systems. Coders are required to abstract medical documentation from a patient›s chart and correlate the diagnosis and procedures performed into numerical code numbers. This is done in all healthcare facilities. The student gains knowledge and practice in computer software programs such as encoders and electronic medical records systems, which allows students to have real world, hands-on application of medical practice.
Upon successful completion of the Medical Coding
Certificate, the graduate is expected to:
- Demonstrate entry level skills in coding with ICD- 10-CM/PCS and CPT.
- Describe the relationship between coding and reimbursement in healthcare.
- Demonstrate professional behaviors in the work place including patient confidentiality and professional ethics.
- Demonstrate clear and effective communication skills, critical thinking, and problem solving within their scope of practice.
- Participate in activities that foster professional growth and continued competence.
• Physicians’ Offices
• Nursing Homes
• Administrative Services
• Professional Services
For more information, please contact: