The Applied Electronics and Computer Technology program at KVCC prepares students with the technical knowledge and professional skills needed for careers in the installation, maintenance, technical support, and troubleshooting of electronic equipment, wired and wireless communication systems, computers, and computer network systems. The primary goal of the program is to ensure each student is well equipped to enter the workforce as a technical support professional.
The AECT program integrates theory and applications through a lab-intensive, project-based curriculum which emphasizes critical thinking, troubleshooting, and problem-solving techniques. The program is well-equipped, employing the latest in electronic test and measure equipment, computers, network servers, and computer network systems.
Upon successful completion of the AECT program, students can directly enter the workforce, or transfer into a bachelor’s degree in electrical or computer engineering, computer science, computer information systems, or computer network security.
Upon Successful Completion of the AECT program, each graduate will be expected to:
- Employ critical thinking and problem-solving skills as expected in a professional work environment.
- Communicate effectively and possess the interpersonal skills necessary for success.
- Practice technical, analytical, and professional skills in a conscientious, responsible, and accountable manner.
- Recognize the need for continued professional development in the pursuit of industry certifications or continuing education towards a bachelor’s degree in a technical area of interest.
Each student is prepared for, and required to take each of the following nationally recognized professional certification exams.
- ETA Certified Electronics Technician
- CompTIA IT Fundamentals (ITF+)
- CompTIA A+
- CompTIA Network+
- TestOut Office Pro, Performance Certification
- TestOut IT Fundamentals Pro, Performance Certification
- TestOut PC Pro, Performance Certification
- TestOut Network Pro, Performance Certification
- TestOut Server Pro, Performance Certification
- Computer support technician
- Information systems support
- Network support technician
- Cable-Fiber installation technician
- Security systems support
- Electronics technician
- Field service support technician
- Bio-medical electronics technician
- Communication system technician
- Cellular telephone system technician
- Cable television network technician
- Marine electronics technician
- Engineering technician
For more information, please contact:Enrollment Services (207) 453-5822 Enrollment@kvcc.me.edu
William I. Dolan, AECT Department Chair