Advising & Transfer Services


At Kennebec Valley Community College, we believe that careful academic advising is essential for a successful educational experience. The advising staff at Kennebec Valley Community College is happy to assist students if for some reason their assigned advisor is unavailable. We offer advising services that can help you:

  • Create an academic plan
  • Choose courses for registration
  • Understand the entrance requirements for your desired major
  • Monitor your academic and financial aid status

Advising is an on-going process.  Meeting with your advisor on a regular basis is the best way to ensure that you have the information needed to make sound academic decisions.

Here is information on electives defined.

Advising FAQs

How can I find out who my advisor is?

Your advisor’s name and contact information is available in your student portal.

What if my advisor is unavailable?
All advisors have voicemail and e-mail.  If the matter is not an urgent one, then it is best to leave your advisor a message requesting an appointment to meet.  However, if the matter is time-sensitive (say it’s the last day of the add/drop period) then you should call or drop by the Advising Center in the Lunder Building.
If I've received financial aid, can I drop a course?

Before making any changes to your schedule, it is important to check with the Financial Aid Office.  Dropping one course can impact how much financial aid you receive and the status of your student loans.

If I'm failing a class, should I withdraw from it?
Withdrawing from a course can be an option, but it should be your last resort.  First, speak with your instructor.  Is it really as bad as you think?  Ask what you need to do to bring your grade up to a passing level.  Next take a look at your study habits.  Are you studying enough?  Most classes require 1-2 hours of study for each hour you are in class.  Most importantly, have you taken advantage of the great academic resources that KVCC offers?  The Learning Commons can help with time management, study strategies, tutoring, and much more!
Withdrawing completely from all classes in a semester will adversely impact your financial aid.  You may owe funds back to the College.  If you receive financial aid, check with the staff before withdrawing. The email is
What are general education electives?

Humanities Electives are studies which expand the student’s awareness of the human condition and appreciation of human needs, values and achievements.  Humanities include studies of literature, languages, geography, history, philosophy, religion, and history and appreciation of the fine arts.

Excluded from meeting Humanities requirements are courses in composition, speech, technical writing, performing arts, and behavioral, physical, and biological sciences. In the KVCC catalog, courses that count as Humanities Electives have a designation of (H) next to the title.

General Education Electives may be chosen from the following fields:  Humanities, Math, English, Natural Sciences, and Social Sciences.  The following courses:  CPT 117 and MAS 121 may also be used to fulfill a General Education Elective.

Social Science Electives may be chosen from the following fields:  Psychology, Sociology, Political Science, and Economics.


For many students, KVCC is just the first step in their educational journey.  Students who plan to continue their education at another institution after attending KVCC may want to take advantage of the transfer assistance available.

We can help transferring students:

  • Identify 4-year schools that offer the major they wish to pursue
  • Access application materials
  • Request transcripts
  • Connect with transfer advisors at other schools

The process of transferring to a new college might seem overwhelming, but really it’s just a simple matter of gathering the materials you need.  The information on this page will provide access to the information, people, and resources you need to transfer with ease.

“In Maine, community college tuition is so low that I genuinely can’t understand why any student doesn’t complete at least the first year at one. No matter where students attend college, their first year is generally spent completing general education requirements like English, math and science. It makes perfect financial sense to complete those courses at a community college for a fraction of the cost, and transfer them into a four-year college to complete a bachelor’s degree.” – Carrie Hall, Humanities Instructor KVCC

Vassar College Exploring Transfer Program

For over twenty years, the Exploring Transfer program has given community college students the chance to live and learn at Vassar College. The purpose of the program is to encourage community college students to experience a private four year college, take a rigorous course load and consider transferring to colleges you may have thought “out of your reach”.  Participants spend five weeks on the Vassar College Campus, earn 6 college credits, and develop lifelong friendships.  Best of all, it’s free for those students who are selected to attend.  More information about this unique program, click here.

Transfer FAQs

When should I apply to transfer to a new school?

When applying to a new school it’s important to check their admission website to see if they have rolling admission (accept students throughout the year) or if they have specific deadlines.  Some schools have rolling admissions but certain programs at that school may have their own deadlines.  If no deadlines are given, then complete an application 1 to 2 semesters before you actually plan to start at your new school.

What four-year schools are in Maine?

University of Maine(207) 581-1110

University of Maine at Augusta(207) 621-3000

University of Maine at Farmington (207) 778-7000

University of Maine at Fort Kent (207) 834-7500

University of Maine at Machias(207) 255-1200

University of Maine at Presque Isle(207) 768-9400

University of Southern Maine1-800-800-4USM

College of the Atlantic(207) 288-5015

Purdue University Global(207) 213-2500

Husson University1-800-4HUSSON

Maine Maritime Academy1-800-464-6565

Saint Joseph’s College1-800- 338-7057

Southern NH University (Brunswick)1-800-668-1249

Thomas College(207) 859-1111

Unity College1-800- 624-1024

University of New England (207) 283-0171

How do I transfer to another school?

The Transfer Process involves:

  • The Application – The first step to any transfer is to complete an application for the college or university you want to attend.  Most schools will give you the choice of a paper or electronic application.  Complete all parts of the application and always have someone proofread your essay if one is required.  Applications fees vary but typically range between $25 to $50.  If you plan to apply on-line you will most likely need to have access to an ATM or credit card.
  • Transcripts – Have official copies of all schools that you have attended sent to your new school, this includes all colleges attended, and your high school transcript or GED certificate (  Transcripts must be sent directly from the issuing school to your new school.
  • Financial Aid – Apply for financial aid by completing the FAFSA as soon as you can after January 1st.  Many 4-year schools have early deadlines for financial aid consideration.  If your FAFSA is already done, check to make sure you have listed all the schools you plan to apply to.
  • Letters of Recommendation – If your new school requires letters of recommendation as part of their application process, it’s a good idea to ask at least one extra person for a recommendation.  People will have good intentions but sometimes they get distracted and you don’t want your application to be held up by a missing reference.  Always give people a clear deadline of when you need their letter.
  • Immunizations – Check with your intended school to see if you will need to provide your immunization records before you are accepted.  Generally, you must provide them before you can register for or attend classes.  It’s best to have them ready to send as soon as possible.
How do I transfer credits from another school to KVCC?

To have your grades sent to another institution you must request that an official KVCC transcript be sent to that school.  Transcripts can be requested by contacting the Academic Affairs Office at 453-5822.  There is a fee for this service.

How do I find out if my credits will transfer?

If you are transferring to a school in the University of Maine System, the easiest way to see if a course will transfer is to check the UMS Transfer Equivalency Guide.

Credits are always accepted at the discretion of the receiving school.  Talking with a transfer counselor from a 4-year school at one of KVCC’s Transfer events is a great way to find out what classes will be accepted. Students have the opportunity to make individual appointments with representatives from various Maine schools to have their KVCC transcript evaluated several times during the academic year.

Laurie Ficker, Director of Advising, can help you create a plan to maximize the number of credits that will transfer, and connect you with transfer officials at the school you plan to attend.  You can reach her at 453-5188 or via e-mail at .

Can I get financial aid at a 4-year school?

In most cases the answer to this question is YES.  However, the only way to know for sure is to apply for aid by filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  Be sure to list all the schools you are applying to on your FAFSA.  IMPORTANT! – Many 4-year schools have early deadlines for financial aid consideration…ask about these and get your FAFSA done before the deadline or you could miss out on grants and scholarships.

What is reverse credit transfer?

If you transfer from a Maine community college before earning an associate degree or certificate, the credits you earn at your next school may make it possible for you to complete your community college credential. 

Fill out the MCCS and UMS reverse transfer participation and transcript request form to see if you qualify. Learn more about the MCCS and UMS reverse credit transfer partnership and get answers to frequently asked questions.


Laurie Ficker, Director of Advising

126 Lunder Building
92 Western Avenue
Fairfield, Maine 04937

Read More