Scholarship Info for Students
General Academic Year and Summer Semester Scholarship Information
The KVCC Foundation and the Maine Community College system awards more than $600,000 in scholarships every year to significantly reduce the financial burden of college completion for more than 500 students.
General Scholarship Guidelines
KVCC Foundation and Maine Community College System Scholarship Recipients
- must be in good academic standing with a minimum 2.5 GPA,
- must be matriculated in a KVCC degree or certificate program,
- must be registered in at least six credits in the semester of award (3 credits summer),
- must demonstrate unmet financial need as determined by the KVCC financial aid process (federal FAFSA methodology), preference may be given to students who are not eligible for grant aid (such as Pell or Maine State Grant),
- will be notified of a scholarship award by email sent to their KVCC address (check your email often),
- must submit a signed and proof-read thank you letter and scholarship acceptance form, instructions and a due date will be emailed with scholarship award letters,
- Summer scholarships are typically only available to students with unmet financial need (determined by FAFSA) who DO NOT have a summer Pell Grant sufficient to fund summer tuition and fees,
- KVCC Foundation Scholarships are not automatically renewed. You must reapply each year.
- There is a separate application for each academic year and the summer semester,
- Scholarship awards will be posted as a part of a student’s KVCC financial aid package and credited to the recipient’s student billing account. Please note that it may take 30 days, or more, for your scholarship award to disburse as a refund, if an account credit is generated.
How to Apply
Please note that students may only apply for a fall and/or spring semester scholarship once per academic year. If you have already been awarded a scholarship in the current academic year and are experiencing an emergent need or financial barrier, please contact the KVCC Foundation or KVCC Office of Student Aid through phone or email rather than submitting another scholarship application.
Important Dates and Deadlines
- July 15th- priority consideration for returning students
- August 15th- priority consideration for new students
- September 15th- initial fall semester scholarship awards will begin to be announced
- October 15th- deadline for students seeking a fall semester scholarship in the current academic year.
- February 15th – deadline for students seeking a spring semester scholarship in the current academic year.
- April 15th- priority consideration for a summer scholarship
- May 15th- deadline for students seeking a summer scholarship
Scholarship Application Processing Timeline
- Only one academic year scholarship application will be reviewed per student per academic year.
- Students may apply for both academic year and summer scholarship consideration.
- Applications received prior to August 15th for the upcoming year will begin to be processed on September 15. Changes in program, enrollment, residency, or incomplete FAFSA information may cause delays beyond September 15th.
- Applications received between August 16-September 15 will begin to be processed on October 15th.
- Applications received between September 16 and October 15 will begin to be processed on November 15th.
- Applications received after the October 15th deadline but before the February 15th deadline will begin to be reviewed approximately on the 15th of the month following the application date.
- This monthly application review cycle for academic year scholarships will continue through the final February 15th application deadline. Applications received after the October 15th deadline but before the February 15th deadline will only be considered for a spring semester award.
- Summer scholarship applications received prior to April 15th will begin to be processed on May 1st
- Summer scholarship applications received between April 16-May 15 will be processed by May 31st.
Emergent Need Scholarship Fund- Application temporarily closed July 1, 2021.
Instead, please complete the CRRSAA/ARP Student Emergency Relief Grant application in your student portal (under the finances tab).
In response to the unique and difficult challenges caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, the KVCC Foundation has established the KVCC Foundation Emergent Need Scholarship Fund to assist students experiencing unforeseen financial barriers that jeopardize KVCC enrollment and success. This fund is reserved for students in financial need due to a specific financial barrier related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Recipients must be currently enrolled in a KVCC degree or certificate program, have completed a FAFSA and have demonstrated unmet financial need (federal methodology). and a minimum 2.0 GPA. The maximum award amount is generally $400. Students may apply once per semester and may be requested to first complete a CRRSAA/ARP Student Emergency Relief Grant application.
Links to external scholarship applications
Accepting your scholarship
How to accept your KVCC Foundation or Maine Community College System scholarship:
1. Carefully read your KVCC Foundation, or MCCS, scholarship award letter (sent to your KVCC email address)
3. Write a unique and meaningful thank you letter (proofreading matters)
4. Complete the online scholarship acceptance form
5. Upload your thank you letter, and optional pictures and/or video with your online scholarship acceptance form
- your scholarship acceptance thank you letter must be .doc .docx or .pdf format
- your scholarship acceptance thank you letter does not need to be signed (but it is ok if it is)
- your scholarship acceptance thank you letter must be an original file, not a scanned copy
6. Your scholarship acceptance will be processed within ten days following your provided acceptance deadline. You will be notified if you have missed any steps or need to proofread, edit, and resubmit your thank you letter.