TRiO Student Support Services
TRiO Student Support Services provides extra support to qualifying students. We are funded by a federal grant and serve students who will be the first in their family to graduate from college, students with low-income, and students with documented disabilities. KVCC has maintained a TRiO SSS Program since 1993!
KVCC’s TRiO Program works with 180 students each year, helping them to:
- Persist in college, following their chosen program of study from one semester to the next
- Maintain good academic standing
- Graduate and/or transfer to a 4-year college
TRiO participants have the highest graduation, transfer, and good academic standing rates of any group on campus! We achieve this by providing intensive academic and personal support tailored to each participant’s individual needs.
92% of students either graduated or returned for the next semester
93% were in good academic standing
52% of all TRIO students either graduated or graduated and transferred to a four-year school!
Participants must be:
- U.S. citizens or legal residents
- Working toward their first college degree with an intent to graduate from KVCC,
- Demonstrate a need for program services, and
- Meet one of the following criteria:
1. meet federal income eligibility guidelines, OR
2. be a “first generation” college student (neither parent has a 4-year (Bachelor’s) degree), OR
3. have a documented disability
How to Apply
Applying to and participating in KV TRiO is FREE to eligible students. We are committed to forming strong mentoring partnerships with our students to ensure academic, personal, and professional success.
Participants need only a strong commitment and a desire to succeed at Kennebec Valley Community College!
You may apply in one of several ways:
- Students interested in participating in TRiO should contact the First Year Coordinator, Michelle Bardsley, in King Hall room 130D, or at 453-5017.
- You may also e-mail Michelle at firstname.lastname@example.org!
- Inquiries may also be directed to any member of the TRiO Team at email@example.com, including Program Director Lisa Black in King 126, (phone) 453-5013, (email) firstname.lastname@example.org!
Contact a member of the TRiO team to learn more!
Lisa Black, Director of KVCC TRiO Program
Michelle Bardsley, First Year Student Coordinator
Landi Wright, Math and Science Learning Specialist
Zander Walz, Student Success Coach