TRiO Student Support Services
TRiO Student Support Services provides extra support to qualifying students. We are funded by a federal grant and serve students who will be the first in their family to graduate from college, students with low-income, and students with documented disabilities. KVCC has maintained a TRiO SSS Program since 1993!
KVCC’s TRiO Program works with 180 students each year, helping them to:
- Persist in college, following their chosen program of study from one semester to the next
- Maintain good academic standing
- Graduate and/or transfer to a 4-year college
TRiO participants have the highest graduation, transfer, and good academic standing rates of any group on campus! We achieve this by providing intensive academic and personal support tailored to each participant’s individual needs.
93% of students either graduated or returned for the next semester
95% were in good academic standing
57% of all TRIO students either graduated or graduated and transferred to a four-year school!
TRiO Students are Tech-Ready and EmPOWERed!
One of the biggest stressors new students in KV’s TRiO program face is mastering the technology necessary to be successful in college. Sometimes even the tiniest glitch can have a big impact on students’ ability to demonstrate their learning. To ensure that technology isn’t a barrier to our participants’ success, TRiO has designed programming to help them hit the ground running and start their classes tech-ready!
Students who attend the EmPOWERed! workshop will:
- Do a thorough inventory of the technology (devices, software, internet access, etc.) they currently have access to and assess any gaps in coverage
- Learn about the tech-related resources available to all KVCC students
- Learn about tech resources available to just TRiO students
- Meet KVCC’s email system and sync their school email to their cell phones (if appropriate)
- Review KVCC’s online learning tools (e.g. Blackboard, the portal, and the KV app)
Once accepted into the TRIO program, students will attend a more intensive training during our PUSH Orientation to make sure they have the computer proficiency necessary to meet the demands of their degree programs as well as a thorough training in Blackboard, KVCC’s Learning Management System. We also offer ongoing individualized tech assistance throughout students’ time in TRIO.
Participants must be:
- U.S. citizens or legal residents
- Working toward their first college degree with an intent to graduate from KVCC,
- Demonstrate a need for program services, and
- Meet one of the following criteria:
1. meet federal income eligibility guidelines, OR
2. be a “first generation” college student (neither parent has a 4-year (Bachelor’s) degree), OR
3. have a documented disability
How to Apply
Applying to and participating in KV TRiO is FREE to eligible students. We are committed to forming strong mentoring partnerships with our students to ensure academic, personal, and professional success.
Participants need only a strong commitment and a desire to succeed at Kennebec Valley Community College!
You may apply in one of several ways:
- Students interested in participating in TRiO should contact the First Year Coordinator, Michelle Bardsley, in King Hall room 130D, or at 453-5017.
- You may also e-mail Michelle at email@example.com!
- Inquiries may also be directed to any member of the TRiO Team at firstname.lastname@example.org, including Program Director Lisa Black in King 126, (phone) 453-5013, (email) email@example.com!
Contact a member of the TRiO team to learn more!
Lisa Black, Director of KVCC TRiO Program
Michelle Bardsley, First Year Student Coordinator
Nick Runco, Technology and Learning Support Specialist
Landi Wright, Math and Science Learning Specialist