Veterans | Getting Started
1. Learn about KVCC’s degree and certificate programs and short-term training courses. Only a few professional development (clock hour) programs are approved for veterans’ benefits. They are:
- Basic EMT
- Class B Driver’s License Course
For more information about these courses, please contact Bruce Davis at bdavis
3. Submit a copy of your high school transcript/diploma/GED, as well as any college/university and military training transcripts.
- Requesting a military training transcript.
- The AARTS transcript is available to Army, Army National Guard, and US Army Reserve veterans and soldiers with an active service date of October 1, 1981 or later.
- The SMART transcript is available to all active duty sailors and marines who separated after January 1,1999.
- Veterans are encouraged to submit their military training transcripts to KVCC for evaluation. The links for the various services are listed below:
- Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard veterans may use the Joint Service Transcript (JST) system to request transcripts.
- Air Force veterans may go to http://www.au.af.mil/au/ccaf to request a transcript.
4. Complete the Accuplacer test if required to do so.
5. Apply for Financial Aid. Our FAFSA school code is 009826. You do not have to be full time to receive financial aid. (Although applying is optional, we encourage veterans to apply for financial aid because VA payments may be delayed for 2 months at the start of each semester due to processing delays beyond our control.)
6. Apply for VA education benefits.
- Veterans: VA Form 22-1990
- Dependents of Veterans: VA Form 22-5490
7. Save and print a copy of your application for VA Benefit. and submit it to the Financial Aid Office OR e-mail the application as a document to aconnors
Dependents of disabled Veterans can apply for the State of Maine Tuition Waiver. Application/instructions are available at this website. Students need to print out the application and send required documentation to the state of Maine.
8. Once you are accepted at KVCC, schedule a Student Orientation & Registration (SOAR) session to register for your classes.
9. Send to the Enrollment Services Center in the Frye Building, or e-mail to aconnors
@kvcc.me.edu your Certificate of Eligibility. Notify Anne Connors, VA Certifying Official and Financial Aid Director, that you have registered. If you have not yet received your Certificate of Eligibility, please submit a copy of your application for VA Benefits.
10. Purchase books and materials and attend classes.